Known as 'Kashtartava' in Sanskrit. In this condition there is menstrual flow accompanied with severe abdominal cramps.
Symptoms- Menstrual flow accompanied with acute abdominal pain is common in certain women and usually denotes a blood deficiency, especially blood calcium.
Causes- In Ayurvedic view, general menses problems are due to aggravation of Vata and Pitta doshas.A variety of causes may be responsible for this condition, however blood deficiency and increased toxicity in the body are the main causes.
Congestive type - Due to vitiation of pitta and kapha usually there is premenstrual pain either in the back or lower abdomen, occurring between three and five days and sometimes before the onset of menstruation. It is always relieved by menstrual flow. Many a times it is associated with some pelvic inflammatory disease like salpingo-oophritis or pelvic adhesions. It is also common in certain myomas and cysts of ovaries.Here you get profuse bleeding alongwith pain.
Spasmodic type - Is due to vitiation of Vata. Nearly fifty percent of women under 25 suffer from this symptom. The pain develops on the first day of menstrual period, which is excruciating and lasts for half an hour or so. This pain is intermittent.This is followed by less severe pain lasting for the next day. It may be related to endocrine factor and/or psychogenic causes.
Membranous type - Should be regarded as extreme form of spasmodic dysmenorrhoea. The pain is so severe, that unless some very strong antispasmodic medicine is given it cannot be relieved. Due to severe pain there may be shock like symptoms. Fortunately it is very rare.
Treatment - Rest is an essential remedy to this chronic condition along with the appropriate diet and treatment. Practice of 'Yoga' for stress relief is also beneficial.
Diet - avoid sour, hot, spicy, oily food. Take more milk, butter, fruits (not sour), asparagus, rose petals, fennel seeds and vegetables.
- Take 8 - 10 pieces of black resins every night at bedtime. Chew it.
- Tablet A.L. compound - 2 tablets 2/3 times a day
- Ashokarishta - 4 t.s.f. or Ashok Ghana 2tab. 2 times a day for 3 months is good to correct menstrual disturbances, and excessive bleeding.
- Triphala choorna or tablets - with luke warm water at bed time.
- Massage A warm sesame oil massage on abdomen and pelvic region
- Panchakarma Uttar-basti of warm sesame oil. Purgation therapy (Virechan) is also beneficial in these problems.